Batter Bowl Bakery (403 H Street), our favorite spot to grab a coffee and pastry on H Street, hopes to attract more of a dinner crowd with beer, wine, and expanded food options. Batter Bowl is open from 8 am to 8 pm every day, but as the owners point out, after around 3 pm the crowd dies down. Attempting to change that, Batter Bowl applied for a liquor license several months ago and will now serve a selection of wine and beer in the afternoon and evening. Look for more food options in the afternoon, including a burger and rotating specials. For right now, they will keep their current hours, but if Batter Bowl becomes more of an attraction after 3 pm that could change in the future.
It may have taken forever for the restaurant to open, but the signature wings at 6th and H Bar and Grill (523 H Street) are solid. Slow cooked in the smoker all day, they are available in increments of 5 (5-10-15-20). We recommend them with the honey bbq sauce. The bar also has beer specials during NFL games–beers for $4.
Pretty much just in time for autumn, Masseria near Union Market (1340 4th Street, NE) is focusing on its cozy outdoor lounge that serves an a la carte menu that is less expensive than the tasting menu in the main dining room area. You can check out our early review of Masseria here. The lounge has comfortable couches and chairs complete with fire pits, the ideal autumn setting. The most recent lounge menu features arancini with veal ragu, veal and pork meatballs, and calamari with a spicy saffron emulsion (you can see the entire lounge menu here). The lounge is open from 5:30-11 pm Tuesday-Thursday, 5 pm to midnight Friday, and 3 pm to midnight on Saturdays.
*Photo courtesy of Scott Suchman
Starting at 2 pm on Saturday (September 26th), the Argonaut (1433 H Street) will be celebrating its 10th anniversary! There will be drink specials, giveaways, and live bluegrass music. They will also be debuting a new house beer, and you can check out their recently renovated patio space.
We’ve spent the last week rolling out all of the dining specials and events that you will be able to find while strolling through H Street Festival this weekend (September 19th). Here’s the complete rundown (west to east):
- Driftwood Kitchen (400 H Street): joint event with Atlas Brew Works featuring multiple beers as well as Driftwood’s bar menu. Details here.
- Boundary Road (414 H Street): will be serving their brunch menu until mid afternoon and then switching to dinner menu.
- Micho’s Grill (500 H Street): $4 beers and free popcorn with any purchase. Details here.
- Le Grenier (502 H Street): French street sandwich and $3 beer. Details here.
- DC Harvest (517 H Street): blended lunch/dinner menu and debut of new gel cocktail. Details here.
- Po Boy Jim (709 H Street): 2nd annual po boy eating contest, drink specials. Details here.
- Chupacabra (822 H Street): multiple drink and food specials. Details here.
- Queen Vic (1206 H Street): double decker booze bus, drink specials, scotch eggs. Details here.
- Kitty’s Saloon (1208 H Street): Shiner beers, bourbon, BBQ specials. Details here.
- Vendetta (1212 H Street): prosecco and food specials. Details here.
- Sticky Rice (1224 H Street): will have DJs starting at noon during H Street Festival. Details here.
- Smith Commons (1245 H Street): reduced price drinks, full bar menu. Details here.
- Sol Mexican Grill (1251 H Street): margarita zone on sidewalk out front and food on the first floor. Details here.
- Sally’s Middle Name (1320 H Street): takeout food and $5 drink specials. Details here.
- Ocopa (1324 H Street): Peruvian street food and frozen cocktails. Details here.
- H Street Country Club (1335 H Street): large patio, drink specials, food, and mariachis. Details here.
- Biergarten Haus (1355 H Street): kicking off Oktoberfest with multiple beers. Details here.
- Impala (1358 H Street): debuting new carnitas and multiple drink specials. Details here.
- Argonaut (1433 H Street): debuting new patio design, battle of the beers between east-central-west breweries. Details here.
Sol Mexican Grill (1251 H Street) will have a sidewalk Margarita zone in front of its restaurant for H Street Festival this Saturday (September 19th). They will be serving food on the first floor of their building and then having a DJ on the second floor.
Impala (1358 H Street) will debut its new carnitas recipe that they have been working on during H Street Festival (September 18th). They will also be having multiple drink specials including $5 Tecate tall boys, $5 Dos Equis laber and amber, $7 margaritas, $6 Heineken, and $12 grande margaritas.