Nando’s (411 H Street) will be opening up on Saturday February 13th for the first time. The weekend of the 13-14 they will be throwing an official housewarming event where all proceeds will go to the Atlas Performing Arts Center on H Street. You can RSVP to attend by clicking here.
Last fall, we looked at the new restaurants and bars that were coming to H Street. Over the past year, several new restaurants have opened up, so we will now take an updated look at restaurants that have opened, ones that have made construction progress, and new restaurant concepts that have been announced recently. For each of these categories we list the establishments in order of going west-east down H Street. If we’ve missed a place, please let us know in the comment section. You can see previous versions of H Street’s Horizons here, here, here, and here.
Opened in Last Year
- Sixth and H Bar and Grill (523 H Street)–sports bar that opened in July of 2015. Good place to watch NFL on Sunday and the wings are legit.
- Starbucks (600 Block of H Street)–chain coffee shop will be opening in new apartment building on southern side of H Street in 600 block.
- Fresca Taqueria (701 H Street)–new taqueria that replaced The Spot Deli. Extensive menu but no liquor license currently. Our coverage here.
- Addis Ethiopian Restaurant (707 H Street)–Ethiopian restaurant serving lunch and dinner that also does takeout. Our coverage here.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl (1001 H Street)–new location from the popular U Street restaurant that serves breakfast as well.
- Ten 01 (1001 H Street)–bar and small plates on second floor of Ben’s Chili Bowl on H Street with large patio area; opened just a couple of weeks ago.
- Copycat Co. (1110 H Street)–two story restaurant serving dumplings and grilled skewers on the first floor and craft cocktails (as well as food from downstairs) in a sleek bar area upstairs.
- Sally’s Middle Name (1320 H Street)–restaurant with menu that changes daily and focuses on locally sourced ingredients. Took over spot that had previously been Pizza Parts & Service. It will be expanding up into the second floor (currently a small boutique store) in 2016. Well reviewed by The Washington Post. Our coverage here.
- Maketto (1351 H Street)–new spot by Toki Underground owner that is part retail market, part bar, part coffee bar/bakery, and part restaurant. Well reviewed by The Washington Post.
- IMM Thai (1360 H Street)–second location of IMM Thai (original is in Annandale) that opened in June. Serves both lunch and dinner as well as offering takeout and delivery. Our coverage here.
New Concepts Announced in Last Year
- Two Boots (1025 H Street)–cajun inspired pizza restaurant based out of New York that has a location in Baltimore as well. Concept recently announced, so construction will probably take a little while. Details from Washington Business Journal.
- Spile and Spigot (1248 H Street)–a pub that will have various ales and English food. Same owners as Blue Diner and will be located on the first floor of the building that houses Blue Diner. More details from our friends at Washington City Paper and Frozen Tropics.
- Blue Diner (1248 H Street)–24 hour diner that plans to open sometime in the spring. From the same owners as Spile and Spigot and will be located on the second floor of the building that houses Spile and Spigot. More details from our friends at Washington City Paper and Frozen Tropics.
- Sospeso (1344 H Street)–new Mediterranean restaurant that will serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner by the current General Manager of Sotto on 14th Street. Aiming to open in the spring. Our coverage here.
Progress continues at the upcoming Fresca Taqueria (701 H Street) with signage going up during the holiday week. A peak inside reveals that construction has been going steady and that the restaurant looks like it will be ready to open up soon. Fresca will be replacing The Spot Deli that went out of business earlier this year.
New signage is up for the Nando’s that is coming soon to 411-413 H Street, and it says that the restaurant will be coming in January. Construction has been moving swiftly for quite some time on both the exterior and interior of the building. From a peak inside a few days ago, it does appear that the restaurant could be ready to open in a matter of weeks.
A taqueria will be replacing The Spot Deli (701 H Street) which closed back in September. The name is somewhat unclear from the signage–either Pronto Taqueria and Rosticeria or Fresca Taqueria and Rosticeria. The location had undergone a renovation prior to opening as The Spot Deli; it had previously been Heaven & H Deli for only a few months and had been Grace Deli prior to that. It is unclear if the location is related to The Spot Deli and its owner Troy Williams who is also opening a restaurant at 1255 H Street (although that construction has been stalled for several years).
It may have taken forever for the restaurant to open, but the signature wings at 6th and H Bar and Grill (523 H Street) are solid. Slow cooked in the smoker all day, they are available in increments of 5 (5-10-15-20). We recommend them with the honey bbq sauce. The bar also has beer specials during NFL games–beers for $4.