After much anticipation, Hikari Sushi and Sake Bar finally opened Thursday night on H Street (644 H Street, NE). Here is a copy of their opening night menu. Overall we were very impressed with both the food and the restaurant itself.
Upstairs Sushi Bar at Hikari Sushi and Sake
Hikari is a two level row house that has been completely redesigned. The first floor is a full service bar with several tall tables available for dinner service or drinks. Upstairs features a sushi bar where you can watch your sushi being made right in front of you while chatting with the chefs. It also has several booths (including two with window views) for a more intimate setting. Continue reading
Friday evening update: Hikari needed one minor modification prior to final inspection today and will not be able to complete the final inspection process prior to New Years. The restaurant will now open January 2nd or 3rd.
We’ve learned from the owner that Hikari Sushi and Sake Bar (644 H Street, NE) will open this weekend (first dinner service either Friday or Saturday night). Hikari comes from owner Heesook Chun, who has opened nine Japanese restaurants over the past fifteen years, including the Matsutake restaurants located in Northern Virginia. The Matsutake Sushi located in Reagan National Airport was recently rated as one of the top twelve airport restaurants nationwide by food critic Andrew Zimmern. The interior of Hikari will have “a warm and trendy” atmosphere. Hikari is located towards the middle of H Street in a block that will see two new major residential buildings in the next few years. Hikari’s owner says that the planned future development combined with the future streetcar was a major reason for choosing H Street for a new restaurant. In addition to dine in service, Hikari will feature takeout and plans to offer delivery through a third party service.
2012 was a very exciting year for H Street that witnessed a ton of new restaurants and bars opening. 2013 promises to be another exciting year for the neighborhood with many more openings on tap. Here’s our rundown of places slated to open in the new year and some of the important questions for the H Street region as we enter 2013. Thanks to our friends at Frozen Tropics and H Street Great Street who broke much of the news on the future openings earlier in the year. Did we miss a planned opening? Please let us know in the comment section.
Likely Openings in the New Year (listed in order of going west-east down H Street)
- Batter Bowl Bakery (401 H Street)–bakery from the owners of Ethiopic, featuring breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as baked goods, likely opening in January (h/t Frozen Tropics)
- Hikari Sushi and Sake (644 H Street)–sushi restaurant from the owners of Matsutake Sushi restaurants in Northern Virginia, we’ve heard that it could open in the next few weeks
- PoBoy Jim’s (709 H Street)–poboys and other cajun food with bar and patio in the back, owners have experienced a few construction surprises but should be opening early in the new year (see our preview here)
- Ben’s Chili Bowl (10th and H Street)–restaurant from the popular U Street restaurant, will be two levels and feature a bar as well
- Mythology (1005 H Street)–steak and seafood as well as brunch from current general manager of the popular Atlas Room, will also have extensive craft beer and wine selections (h/t H Street Great Street) Continue reading