Nando’s (411 H Street) will be opening up on Saturday February 13th for the first time. The weekend of the 13-14 they will be throwing an official housewarming event where all proceeds will go to the Atlas Performing Arts Center on H Street. You can RSVP to attend by clicking here.
Last fall, we looked at the new restaurants and bars that were coming to H Street. Over the past year, several new restaurants have opened up, so we will now take an updated look at restaurants that have opened, ones that have made construction progress, and new restaurant concepts that have been announced recently. For each of these categories we list the establishments in order of going west-east down H Street. If we’ve missed a place, please let us know in the comment section. You can see previous versions of H Street’s Horizons here, here, here, and here.
Opened in Last Year
- Sixth and H Bar and Grill (523 H Street)–sports bar that opened in July of 2015. Good place to watch NFL on Sunday and the wings are legit.
- Starbucks (600 Block of H Street)–chain coffee shop will be opening in new apartment building on southern side of H Street in 600 block.
- Fresca Taqueria (701 H Street)–new taqueria that replaced The Spot Deli. Extensive menu but no liquor license currently. Our coverage here.
- Addis Ethiopian Restaurant (707 H Street)–Ethiopian restaurant serving lunch and dinner that also does takeout. Our coverage here.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl (1001 H Street)–new location from the popular U Street restaurant that serves breakfast as well.
- Ten 01 (1001 H Street)–bar and small plates on second floor of Ben’s Chili Bowl on H Street with large patio area; opened just a couple of weeks ago.
- Copycat Co. (1110 H Street)–two story restaurant serving dumplings and grilled skewers on the first floor and craft cocktails (as well as food from downstairs) in a sleek bar area upstairs.
- Sally’s Middle Name (1320 H Street)–restaurant with menu that changes daily and focuses on locally sourced ingredients. Took over spot that had previously been Pizza Parts & Service. It will be expanding up into the second floor (currently a small boutique store) in 2016. Well reviewed by The Washington Post. Our coverage here.
- Maketto (1351 H Street)–new spot by Toki Underground owner that is part retail market, part bar, part coffee bar/bakery, and part restaurant. Well reviewed by The Washington Post.
- IMM Thai (1360 H Street)–second location of IMM Thai (original is in Annandale) that opened in June. Serves both lunch and dinner as well as offering takeout and delivery. Our coverage here.
New Concepts Announced in Last Year
- Two Boots (1025 H Street)–cajun inspired pizza restaurant based out of New York that has a location in Baltimore as well. Concept recently announced, so construction will probably take a little while. Details from Washington Business Journal.
- Spile and Spigot (1248 H Street)–a pub that will have various ales and English food. Same owners as Blue Diner and will be located on the first floor of the building that houses Blue Diner. More details from our friends at Washington City Paper and Frozen Tropics.
- Blue Diner (1248 H Street)–24 hour diner that plans to open sometime in the spring. From the same owners as Spile and Spigot and will be located on the second floor of the building that houses Spile and Spigot. More details from our friends at Washington City Paper and Frozen Tropics.
- Sospeso (1344 H Street)–new Mediterranean restaurant that will serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner by the current General Manager of Sotto on 14th Street. Aiming to open in the spring. Our coverage here.
Several days ago, Fresca Taqueria (701 H Street) opened up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Fresca Taqueria will be replacing The Spot Deli that closed several months ago. Fresca will be open from 7 am to 8 pm Monday-Friday and 9 am to 8 pm Saturday-Sunday. They do not currently have a liquor license but may explore getting one down the road. When District Cuisine went in over the weekend, they were so busy that every single table was occupied. We tried both the chicken quesadilla and two tostadas as takeout. Both had good flavor and were very large portions. We look forward to exploring the menu in more depth in the coming weeks. You can see a copy of their menu below (click the images to enlarge them).
Chinito’s Burrito’s (635 Florida Avenue, NE), a burrito takeout spot across from Gallaudet University that served Asian influenced Tex-Mex food, closed several months ago. The spot has been vacant since. Recently, construction has been going on inside the restaurant. District Cuisine spoke with a representative of a new concept that will be opening in the space at the construction site several days ago. After undergoing some renovations, the spot will reopen (potentially by February) as a similar concept with a new name. It will offer similar food to Chinito’s that has an Asian fusion influence. They plan to be open for lunch and dinner and may deliver as well. More details as they become available.
Progress continues at the upcoming Fresca Taqueria (701 H Street) with signage going up during the holiday week. A peak inside reveals that construction has been going steady and that the restaurant looks like it will be ready to open up soon. Fresca will be replacing The Spot Deli that went out of business earlier this year.
A new Mediterranean restaurant is planned for H Street this coming spring. Michael Rosato, currently General Manager of Sotto on 14th Street, will be opening up Sospeso at 1344 H Street in the two floor building that previously was Evolve Property Management. As the space was not previously a restaurant, it requires extensive renovations. However, the current plan is to open the restaurant in May. Once completed, Sospeso will open at 7 am and stay open through late night, featuring coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. It will have a bar downstairs with seating both upstairs and downstairs. There are also plans to have an outdoor patio on the second floor.