Back in the spring, we looked at the new restaurants and bars that were coming to H Street. Now that several months have gone by, we wanted to take a look at what restaurants have opened, what ones have made construction progress, and what new restaurant concepts have been announced recently. For each of these categories we list the establishments in order of going west-east down H Street. If we’ve missed a place, please let us know in the comment section.
Opened this Summer and Fall
- Heaven & H (701 H Street)–new deli in former Grace Deli location that honors the memory of the owner of Grace Deli (June Lim) who was murdered in 2012, deli underwent some renovations and is now open but appears that renovations may be ongoing, more details from Washington City Paper
- Chupacabra (822 H Street)–taco restaurant that previously was a food truck, operates right off of H Street but has added a covered patio that links it to H Street in the last several months that should be quite popular when it is warmer
- Vendetta (1210 H Street)–Italian restaurant and bocce bar by Joe Englert, you can read our early review here
- Da Luft (1242 H Street)–initially billed as a “seafood restaurant,” now appears to be more of a club with three levels and a rooftop patio
- Sol Mexican Grill (1251 H Street)–two level Mexican restaurant with fast casual service downstairs and full service restaurant, bar, and patio upstairs, you can read our early review here
- RedRocks (1348 H Street)–full service pizza and Italian restaurant with extensive bar and retractable roof patio, three other DC area locations
- Manny and Olga’s (1409 H Street)–D.C. pizza chain offers delivery
- The Elroy (1423 H Street)–a bar concept on the eastern end of H Street, more from Washington City Paper
- Indigo (3rd and K Street, NE)–Indian restaurant with dine in and take out, you can read our preview here
- TD Burger (3rd and K Street, NE)–burger restaurant with dine in and takeout, you can read our early review here
- Bardo (1200 Bladensburg Road, NE)–large outdoor bar that is working on having onsite brewing, you can read our review of opening week here
- Bidwell Restaurant (inside Union Market)–sit down restaurant by Chef John Mooney inside of Union Market, opened a few weeks ago, more from Washington City Paper
- Ris (inside Union Market)–retail stall by Ris Lacoste (owner of Ris in West End), serves a variety of food items from basics (sauces, stocks) to fresh baked goods
New Concepts Announced in Second Half of 2013
- DC Harvest (517 H Street)–new farm to table restaurant by former Hank’s Oyster Bar executive chef, read more from Washington Business Journal
- Addis Ethiopian Restaurant (707 H Street)–Ethiopian restaurant that will have two stories and extensive menu, preview menu here, more details from Frozen Tropics here
- Sin Bin Sports Bar and Restaurant (1336 H Street)–new sports bar coming to eastern end of H Street, more details from Frozen Tropics here
- Kraze Burger (unknown NoMa location)–Korean fast casual burger restaurant with several locations around the D.C. area
- Moe’s Southwest Grill (NoMa–N and 1st Street, NE)–fast casual style southwestern restaurant with several locations in the D.C. area
Progress on Future Restaurants
- PoBoy Jim’s (709 H Street)–poboys and other cajun food with bar and patio in the back (see our preview here). The restaurant had previously undergone major renovations on the second level and then paused for several months. This fall it resumed construction and completely renovated the first floor. They also participated in H Streetfest and sampled their food. It looks like it is still several months away, but the level of construction is certainly a positive sign.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl (10th and H Street)–restaurant from the popular U Street restaurant, will be two levels and feature a bar as well. The building that was on the site was completely demolished to make way for new construction. After the demolition, construction halted (allegedly because of permitting/construction problems); however, it has recently resumed. Unclear when they are aiming to open, but they have announced additional locations in Rosslyn and National Airport that appear likely to open first.
- Mythology (1005 H Street)–this space was supposed to become a steak and seafood restaurant from former general manager of the popular Atlas Room. However, the space is currently occupied by the H Street streetcar office, and it appears unlikely that this concept is going to open.
- Newsom (1110 H Street)–will feature global cuisine and have two stories complete with bars and a karaoke booth (see our preview here). This restaurant has looked like it is ready to open for over a year and a half at this point. At the 2012 H Streetfest they had an open house with food, but there have been no signs of activity since. Several weeks ago there was a car accident that shattered the front door. The door was replaced, but there is no update on when (or if) this restaurant is opening.
- The Spot (1255 H Street)–new restaurant will feature Latin American cuisine (h/t Frozen Tropics and H Street Great Street). The restaurant’s space has been completely gutted, but construction progress stopped because the owners are planning on making even more changes to the building and needed to get new permits.
- Carolina Kitchen concept (1309 H Street)–owners of Carolina Kitchen in Hyattsville are planning a new concept for this three story, interesting looking building that currently has a “coming summer 2012″ sign on it (the owners of Carolina Kitchen had previous interest in H Street that didn’t work out). No recent progress.
- Copa (previously Chicken Tortilla) (1324 H Street)–restaurant currently has a location in the southernmost part of Barracks Row, this location will serve Peruvian food and have a bar as well (h/t Frozen Tropics and H Street Great Street). The space has gone through a complete renovation and looks like it might be able to open up in either spring or the summer.
- Maketto (1351 H Street)–Maketto will likely be a mix between Eastern Market and Union Market (although in a smaller location) by being part restaurant, part market (see more details from D.C. Eater and The Washington Post). Over the summer and fall Maketto went through serious renovations; however, they have encountered pretty serious construction delays and are behind schedule (more details from the Washington Post here). It will likely open in the summer or fall.
- Impala Cantina y Taqueria (1358 H Street)–Impala Cantina y Taqueria initially opened as a popup restaurant on H Street and was extremely popular. Its permanent location will open as a full service restaurant and bar in a completely renovated space. Impala has been holding events at night in its courtyard to preview its food for several months now and has a weekly popup inside of the Pug. Peeking inside the window, it looks like they are getting pretty close. However, they have been planning/aiming to open for several years at this point, so it is very unclear when they may actually open. Washington City Paper reported in November that they planned to open sometime this January.
- Tru Orleans (400 H Street)
- Pho Bar and Grill (1360 H Street)
Unclear Closings (could be permanent or temporary)
- New Citi Pizza (504 H Street)–the longtime H Street pizza takeout restaurant closed after the owner died of a heart attack. It appears that it will not be reopened. You can read more from Frozen Tropics here.
- Sahra Lounge (1200 H Street)–the hookah bar closed down in early January for alleged “renovations.” The owner also owned Souk–a tapas restaurant–that has been closed for “renovations” for several years. You can read more from Frozen Tropics here.
- Taylor Charles Steak and Ice (1320 H Street)–the cheesesteak restaurant from the creators of Taylor Gourmet closed down in early January after being open for only around a year. It appears that they may be changing the concept to become a different kind of restaurant. You can read more from the Washington City Paper here.