At the beginning of the year we took a look at what new bars and restaurants were planned for H Street in the coming year. Now that a quarter of 2013 has gone by, we wanted to provide an update on new openings, newly announced concepts, and progress towards opening. For each of these categories we list the establishments in order of going west-east down H Street. If we’ve missed a place, please let us know in the comment section.
Opened this Winter
- Batter Bowl Bakery (401 H Street)–delicious new bakery from the owners of Ethiopic (next door) that is open all day and serves a variety of baked goods, sandwiches, and salads (see menu here).
- Hikari Sushi and Sake (644 H Street)–new sushi restaurant with two floors and extensive bar. See our initial review here.
- Thaaja Indian Food Bar (NoMa region, 1335 2nd Street, NE)–features customizable Indian food in a format similar to Chipotle. See our opening night review here.
- Mother Ruckers Subs (1101 Bladensburg Road, NE)–new sub shop near H Street Corridor. See more from Frozen Tropics.
New Concepts Announced this Winter
- Chupacabra (822 H Street)–sit down restaurant/patio version of the Chupacabra food truck that serves various kinds of tacos. Frozen Tropics broke the news in March.
- Vendetta (1210 H Street)–Italian restaurant from H Street titan Joe Englert that is replacing the Red Palace (closed on New Years Eve), will be quite big and even feature a bocce court. Plans to open in May. More from H Street Great Street.
- Carolina Kitchen concept (1309 H Street)–owners of Carolina Kitchen in Hyattsville are planning a new concept for this three story, interesting looking building that currently has a “coming summer 2012″ sign on it (the owners of Carolina Kitchen had previous interest in H Street that didn’t work out). Washington Business Journal broke the news in March.
- The Elroy (1423 H Street)–“a futuristic bar” from one of the owners of the former New York Avenue Beach Bar that, while it is a transfer of the Beach Bar’s liquor license, will not be a recreation of the Beach Bar. More from Washington City Paper.
- New hibachi restaurant (unknown)–the owners of the new Hikari Sushi and Sake are planning on opening a second restaurant on H Street that will be a hibachi restaurant. See our post here.
- TD Burger (3rd and K Street, NE)–Top Chef participant Timothy Dean will open his second TD Burger in the first floor of the Loree Grand apartment building. Check out our preview here.
Progress on Future Restaurants
- PoBoy Jim’s (709 H Street)–poboys and other cajun food with bar and patio in the back (see our preview here). During the winter, the space has undergone massive renovations and the front of the building is completely new. A peak inside the window shows that they still have a ways to go but could perhaps be ready by summer.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl (10th and H Street)–restaurant from the popular U Street restaurant, will be two levels and feature a bar as well. No visual progress this winter.
- Mythology (1005 H Street)–steak and seafood as well as brunch from current general manager of the popular Atlas Room. Space currently occupied by gym, no visual progress this winter.
- Newsom (1110 H Street)–will feature global cuisine and have two stories complete with bars and a karaoke booth (see our preview here). Over the winter there appear to have been repairs to the floor inside, and restaurant still appears ready to open but no word on any progress.
- Sol Mexican Grill (1251 H Street)–Sol currently operates two food trucks serving burritos and tacos throughout D.C., and it will be opening a new two story restaurant and bar with a patio the first weekend of April. See our preview and the menu.
- The Spot (1255 H Street)–new restaurant will feature Latin American cuisine (h/t Frozen Tropics and H Street Great Street). This winter the restaurant continued to undergo a complete renovation (including removing walls, windows, and exterior doors) and appears to have a ways to go before opening.
- Chicken Tortilla (1324 H Street)–restaurant currently has a location in the southernmost part of Barracks Row, this location will serve Peruvian food and have a bar as well (h/t Frozen Tropics and H Street Great Street). Recently the space has begun renovations that appear to be moving quickly.
- Maketto (1351 H Street)–Maketto will likely be a mix between Eastern Market and Union Market (although in a smaller location) by being part restaurant, part market (see more details from D.C. Eater and The Washington Post). Recently began renovations.
- Impala Cantina y Taqueria (1358 H Street)–Impala Cantina y Taqueria initially opened as a popup restaurant on H Street and was extremely popular, its permanent location will open as a full service restaurant and bar in a completely renovated space. Impala has held two popup events this winter at Toki Underground (the food at the first one that we went to was delicious) while completing its renovation. We’re told they are aiming to open in May.
- RedRocks (1348 H Street)–the local pizza/Italian restaurant will open a three story restaurant that has a rooftop (h/t Prince of Petworth). Renovations have been going on all winter, and the restaurant is planning to open in May.
- Manny and Olga’s (1409 H Street)–D.C. pizza chain will also offer delivery. Construction appears to be progressing but no word on when they plan to open.
- Bardo (1200 Bladensburg Road, NE)–brewpub that will have a very large space (enough room for over 300 people) and an outdoor patio, will likely not have major food options (see more details from The Washington Post). No real work during the winter.